Monday, March 16, 2009

To quit the death stick : A Poem






cigarette tax just jacked


up $7 a carton


a remedy to the economy



revenues gone, smokers down in flames


recession stress buster up in smoke


the weary can't afford to cling


to the one thing they really know



still less than chemo therapies


but too much to stomach


i need out from the clutch


of the nicotine death stick


its grip on me is tight rope



i am slave to the burning stick of false hope


comfort in tense times


stimulant or relaxant it's all the same


a deadly addictive fix killling its host



i've been down this road


more times than the spinning sun


the patch, the gum, the inhalant, the pill



what will i do this time to free myself


unimprison my body, my mind, my life


to go cold turkey or buy a turnkey video


showing some hypnosis technique


either way


they must go soon



my lungs and wallet can't take anymore


of this addiction bs


my clothes and home stench of smoke


my lungs darkened from the nicotine blunts



the hardest thing i may ever do


the smartest thing i could ever go through



the body is stronger than the mind


in the throws of the nicotine addiction




my heart and lungs


will embrace the oxygen rich fresh air


my mind and body


will go stir crazy without my fix



i need a clean break a moving on


saying goodbye to the coffin smoked nails


that insidiously made their way into my body's home






2 comments:

  1. Excellent poem. You know, since my surgery, I have lost any and all desire to eat -- they need to come up with a surgery that removes any and all desire to smoke. OMG, million dollar idea right there! I'm a genius!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Now that IS a brilliant idea. That is a billion dollar idea. I would sign up for that surgery now if they had it! I also wouldn't mind the other surgery to lose my desire to eat but one surgery at a time for me..

    ReplyDelete