Monday, January 26, 2009

New York City, New Year's Eve 2006


Pictured above, C. Dylan and Barb, NYC, Times Square, New Year's Eve 2006

My friend Barb travelled all the way from St. Louis to see the ball drop. It was a great experience for both of us. A special event and great memory!


There is nothing quite like watching the ball drop in NYC on Times Square. How many people actually make it to this once-in-a-lifetime event? It is definetely worth doing. My good friend Barb and I saw it 2 years ago, on New Year's eve 2006 ringing in 2007. We were out in the early afternoon to make sure we got a good view and we sure did. We were right there in the middle of the action. The crowd was friendly and the energy of the experience was awesome. The music and energy flowed, the crowds roared and the streets were thronged with people from all over the world. The only downside was a lack of restrooms, once you got in the central viewing area they had major crowd control and gates in play and one could not leave the area to use a restroom after about 6pm. Needless to say by the time midnight came round' I was not a happy camper with this policy! Can you say add a port-o-pot next time please!


During this trip Barb and I also went down and explored Greenwich Village, one of my favorite places in the USA. We had pizza and stopped by Washington Square Park (I love that place, a must see) and went to my favorite whole bean coffee store on Bleecker Street, it's called Porto Rico Importing Company. It was established in 1907. My parents have been friends with the owner's family for many years. The Longo's are some of the nicest people. They have some of the best beans in the world and do quite a business, the line wrapped way around the store. They just sell beans and don't have a cafe to sit in. I just love that place. I bought some great beans to take home and enjoy.


Barb and I had been to NYC once before and took the Circle Line Tour around Manhattan that was quite a site. We also took a cool bus tour sitting on the top of a double decker bus. I was not used to being a "tourist" in NYC, since my parents grew up there, my brother lived there, and I'd been to NY so many times in my life. Barb just loved it and took many pictures. I still remember visiting my grandfather, who lived on the upper East Side, when I was a small child. He will always have a special place in my heart. I wish he were still here to tell me stories of his days in the merchant marines and working on tugboats in the New York Harbor.


We went to ground zero on our previous trip, I just had a sick feeling in my stomach seeing the forlorn scene of the great crime. But I'm glad I did, it brought some closure for me. I had been to the top of the World Trade Center twice in my life, once when I was about 9 and again in my early 20's. So sad and tragic what happened, an understatement. I loved seeing those Twin Towers in the skyline growing up. It still feels weird visiting NYC and not seeing those buildings. Creepy.


New York has a special, vibrant energy I have not experienced anywhere else in the world. I will forever remember that trip. Barb and I had a great lunch on New Year's Day, I had the best Rueben ever. New York has the world's best sandwiches too! I just love a hot pastrami sandwich on Rye bread and no where else can one be found so good as NYC. Great memories...

3 comments:

  1. Remember the jogger in his black teddy? That was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It indeed was beyond hilarious. I wish I had it on video, that is youtube material. Out in the cold, at night jogging in a teddy through Times Square...now that is a free spirit with no shame and no self-consciousness! I think he was an exhibitionist who didn't realize he was an amusement, but thought he was seductive in his attire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cash Making Opportunities - The Beginning The working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internet Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home.......

    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete