Monday, February 9, 2009

The Youth Hosteler


Seeing the world

Half on the cheap, the other half

Well, that's from daddy's keep.


Consuming the low-end experience

Say, where are the cheap eats?


Australian, German's and UK's reign,

in this mobile wannabe chic, subculture strain


Six months on the road and they've seen it all man

Multi-cultural wanderer, no pretentions, sticking it to man


Black Doc Martins, earings, she walks down Bohemia Street

Just one more cigarette please..


Let's cruise the thrift shops for some cool used clothes

Don't wanna let on the money my family's got back in Brisbane

Need that transient, worn in, (I'm no Yuppie) gritty stance


Really, it's the cafe's, bars and discos where it's at

Hey, let's go to that bar Vesuvio's,

Where Jack Kerouac drank himself to death


Amtrak, Greyhound bus pass, travelers cheques and overgrown backpacks

obligatory journals and jeans stone-washed.

2 comments:

  1. LF could most always be seen on the top floor at City Lights bookstore in SF where I would go for interesting reading material you couldn't find anywhere. He always had a smile.

    Thanks for stopping by.....

    ps: I thought you said you liked coffee? SB? They were better many years ago when they sold coffee out of bins, and not flavored drinks not really associated with coffee.
    Don't take me too seriously, I'm just a coffee snob ; (

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to meet LF. I've only been to the bookstore once, back in 93'. I just love that place and like to look at their website, so many interesting books. Their own publishing co. also produces some great books.
    There is so much history there from the Beat Generation..what a great period in time...and they knew how to appreciate coffee! Usually mixed with Jazz and long road trips.

    I do like SB. It's mostly convenience. I don't like their house Pike Place Blend, but I do enjoy some of the others like Gold Coast and Kenya. I am glad SB is around but sometimes it can feel sterile and homogenized, too mass produced. Such is modern life.

    I try and frequent independant coffee shops when I can, they are becoming less common, which is sad. My favorite coffee store is in NYC in Greenwich Village. It's called Porto Rico Importing Co, since 1907. They still sell coffee straight out of burlap bags the old school way. It's a great place.

    I am an equal opportunity coffee lover..I try all kinds but I do believe there is a major difference between most popular varieties and a good fresh small-batch roasted bean. I try such locally roasted beans whenever I get the chance and just had some great stuff from a small roastery in Delaware called Indian River Espresso..they do mail order too. That's my commercial plug for them.

    Have a great day, here's to the spirit of java!

    ReplyDelete